Thursday, July 14, 2005

City Girl/Country Mouse

I had gotten home from a long, tough day at work. After realizing that my family was still picking berries out in the field, I decided that I'd change into my picking clothes and head out to help them. Here are the thoughts that went through my head before I got onto the machine...

Ugh. I'm so tired. What am I doing? I have to go to work tomorrow, too. We probably won't get back in until 9/9.30. I don't belong on a farm, I'm a city girl. I should be in the city...ohhhh, I could be at Cinchetti's - that's my fav place in Vancouver - or I could be shopping! I could be...doing anything else.

As I approach the back fields, I figure out which row they're working in. I see that the machine is on the way back to me...instead of going out to meet the machine in the middle of a row, I decide to sit on the dirt and wait until they got to my end.

Sniff. Something smells funny...something smells like, like, poop! Ew. The dog must've gone to the bathroom around here somewhere.

I look around to see if there's a pile of poop anywhere. I can't find it, I also make sure I'm not sitting in any...nope, not there either.

This smells disgusting. Here's another reason why I shouldn't be here. What am I doing? I'm tired. I smell poop. This is not good.

As the machine approaches the end of the row, a sudden feeling of panic rises from the pit of my stomach. My eyes dart from side to side.

They still haven't seen me yet. If I run over to that row, and run in about twenty meters or so, then lie low for a few minutes, they still won't see me. Hmmmm. This could really work. It's still not too late. Then, I could just make my way back home and forget I even came here! Should I do that?

I didn't do it. The machine made it to the end of the row. My mom saw me first as she was standing at the flats - she was wearing a huge grin on her face and waving to me. My dad saw me next...his eyes got wide, he smiled from ear to ear, stopped the machine, literally jumped off of the machine ran over to me, gave me a BIG hug and said "Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!" (Remember: Driving the machine is very boring) You'd think I'd saved their lives or something from the way they were acting. They didn't think I'd actually come out to the farm after work.

I walked towards the driver's seat where I would spend the next four hours. The panic feeling wasn't there anymore.

Hmmmm. I do know why I'm here. This is what life's about...the small pleasures. City girl must wait... Country Mouse lives on.

6 Comments:

Blogger Carly said...

what a good daughter.

6:57 a.m.  
Blogger Ang said...

I always would have that initial wariness when I go visit my mom in hicksville Sk. After 5 min I know exactly why I am there. I love having the dicotamy within me....it's a cool feeling hey?

10:36 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your are ever the more dutiful daughter than I ever will be.

9:49 a.m.  
Blogger Ang said...

by the way I know and recognize that I can't spell. I live for spell check, and the fact that comments don't allow this is constant source of annoyance to me. I know I should be more diligent with a dictionary, but I am also extreemly lazy...bad speller and lazy, a dichotomy-maybe not!

10:01 a.m.  
Blogger Carly said...

you're lagging on the entries.....

5:54 p.m.  
Blogger Amanda Batten said...

Even though you did the right thing, I liked that you were honest about being hesitant.

2:52 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home