Sunday, October 02, 2005

Dance Moves

I will be transferring to another office soon. It's a lateral move (sounds like some dance!), which means it's neither a promotion nor a demotion. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet.

A few reasons why I chose to move:

1. It's a little itty bit more pay.

2. It's in the same city I live in. Right now, I'm putting 80km's a day onto my car driving to and from work. Even with my car (a fuel efficient Civic) I'm spending over $200/month on gas. This new job is about 10km's from my house (that's a raise in itself). Also, it's been my dream for awhile to be able to do some long distance biking. With this job, I can bike to work in the summer months which will really help me condition myself to do longer distances. In long distance, I don't mean biking across Canada (unless there's someone else out there who'll do it with me?!), but maybe splitting up the cross Canada ride - like biking up part of the BC Coast one summer, biking across the Confederation Bridge and through the Maritimes another, etc. Anyway getting back to the point, I'd love to be able to bike to work.

3. The person who I'll be reporting to is someone who I'd like to work with. We share the same 'vision' and she's younger than my current leader - that'll add some life into my job.

4. I need a new challenge. In my current role, my team is on top of the game and doing so well right now that all I have to do is maintain and my team will stay on top. I've done the training and the coaching and have gotten them from near the bottom to the top...and now it's not a challenge anymore.

5. Did I mention it's a little itty bit more pay?

And then there are those reasons why I think I'm absolutely crazy to be changing:

1. My team's is the top ranked.

2. All I have to do now is maintain my team's level and I know we'll stay at the top. It's guaranteed success.

3. I have some great relationships with my team members. They actually like me.

Like it or not, I have officially accepted the new role. I'm jumping in with both feet and hoping I succeed. I'll be starting there the last week of October. Forewarning: expect me to bitch about my job for awhile...the new team will definitely be a challenge.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're also there because it had potential to lead you to greater vertical moves than if you stayed where you are. Also, it means you aren't working as far away from Langley, enabling you to have greater amounts of "Grish-fixes" once I'm back in town.

Much love from Seoul,

G

8:40 a.m.  
Blogger Carly said...

this means that you are also closer to me.
we will need to have a re-enactment of the browns girls/white girls coffee.

9:06 a.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home