Thursday, September 07, 2006

Keep

"Excuse me, are you the manager?"

I cringe inside. I hate hearing that. I wonder what's coming next.

"Yes. What can I do for you?"

"Well, I found this outside in the parking lot. I think someone will come back to look for it."

I look down into the man's hands. He's holding a pink rzr phone.

"Oh thank you for bringing it in. We'll take care of it."

I have had many instances where someone has left their cell phone behind. Usually, I take a quick look at the contacts list and look for any phone numbers under "home" or "mom" or "dad". This one had a "dad" contact and it was a local cell phone number. I dialled the number from my office phone.

"Hello"

"Hi. This is Loveleen calling from the office. There was a pink cell phone found in the parking lot and I believe it may belong to your daughter. Does she have a pink cell?"

"Yes, that's hers."

"Oh good. Could you please pass onto her that we have her cell phone here and she can come pick it up anytime?"

"Actually just keep it."

"I'm sorry?"

"I'm paying her cell phone bill and if you keep it, it'll save me a lot of money!"

"Oh. Oh! You could come pick it up if you like."

"That's ok. It's the price I pay for deciding to have kids. I'll let her know you have it - she'll go crazy looking for it otherwise."

"Ha! Thanks. Have a great day."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home