Monday, July 24, 2006

Laugh Tomorrow

We've had a real hot spell this past week; the temperatures have been soaring and the heat is breaking records everywhere. My bedroom is downstairs and is one of the coolest places in the house.

Lastnight, my brother decided he was going to sleep in my room. He pulled out a mattress and put it on the floor of my room along with his pillow, blanket and fan. After he had the fan set up so that it would blow cool air his way, he sat down to finish up his homework (he's going to summer school to get ahead in math). Now I had been berry picking all day and I was so exhausted that it didn't matter to me whether or not my bedroom light was on. He studied until about 12.30am after which he shut off the light and laid down to go to sleep.

About a half an hour later, I wake up to the sound my brother shuffling about.

"Andy, are you still awake?"

"Yeah. I can't get to sleep."

"Just relax, you'll sleep soon enough."

"No, I don't think I can sleep here. I think I'm going to go back to my room."

"What? It's too hot upstairs. You definitely won't get to sleep there."

"I can't sleep here. I'm going to my room. I'll take the mattress out tomorrow, k?"

"Fine."

So he gets up, grabs his pillow, blanket and fan and heads upstairs. I go right back to sleep.

About another half hour later, I hear my bedroom door open.

"Andy?"


"Yeah."

"What happened?"


"It's too hot in my room. I can't get to sleep there. I'm gonna sleep here."

"You're an idiot."

So he brings back his pillow, his blanket and his fan. I realize that he needs to plug in the fan and being worried about his safety I said, "You can turn the bedroom light on to plug the fan in. I don't want you to electrocute yourself."


"I don't need the light. I see all!"

After a few seconds of fumbling around, he decided he couldn't see all and turned the light on.

"Andy, I don't have the energy to laugh at you right now. I'll do it tomorrow."

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

i like your stories...and you're good at telling them. but i was hoping to hear a story about you yelling at conor! oh well.

5:36 p.m.  
Blogger Elle said...

Sorry to disappoint. I didn't yell at Conor. I think I'm all talk and no action. I also thought about the fact that I'm hoping to go over there to visit them - so I had to be nice. (Or that could just be an excuse I came up with to cover up the fact that I probably can't yell to the extent that I wish to) **sigh** So complicated.

11:16 p.m.  
Blogger Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

it seems to me that you yell at your brother when you're angry...or maybe that's just how it comes across in the stories.

12:52 p.m.  
Blogger Elle said...

Yeah, I do yell at the brother...but he doesn't count as a real person, y'know?

10:18 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home