Sunday, January 21, 2007

Transition

I'm taking this course on Management. I find it really interesting because I can relate it to my own work. For example:

The Transition to Management Initial Expectations

Manager's initial expectation:
Be the boss
Formal authority
Manage tasks
Job is not managing people.

After six months as a manager:
Initial expectations were wrong (no shit)
Fast pace (really?)
Heavy workload (gasp!)
Job is to be problem-solver and trouble-shooter for subordinates (in other words: everyone is stupid).

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr. Coopernicus Who said...

doesn't sound like you need the course.

2:53 p.m.  
Blogger Jaclyn_Rose said...

Except for me of course - when I was there at least. hehe

3:06 p.m.  
Blogger Elle said...

Definitely not you, Jaclyn...but I have a feeling you do know who I'm talking about. ;)

10:24 p.m.  
Blogger Elle said...

Actually, I am learning a lot from this course...and in order to take the classes I want to take, I have to take this one because it's a prerequisite.

10:26 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home