Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Inaccuracies

There was a 5k run event on Sunday. It was to raise funds for and awareness of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation.

We had to arrive there around 8.30am and the run was set to start at around 10.30am. We got there at about 8.15, just ahead of the rest of my team. It was a cold cold morning, and we were layered up.

This is my fifth year in a row going to this event, and my brother has come with me every year. Everytime we go and meet up with people that we see at the run all the time, they always say "Is this your brother? Wow! He has grown so much! When you two first came here, he was shorter than you!". This year was no exception...in fact, it was worse. We met up with a woman we see at the event every year.

"Oh Luv, is this your brother?"

"Yup, that's Andy."

"My isn't he growing up to be a handsome good-looking young man?"

"What?"

"He's well on his way to being a heart throb."

"Ha. He wishes."

Meanwhile, my brother is eating all of this up. I could've sworn I actually saw his head grow bigger.

"I bet you're just getting all the girls in school, huh Andy?"

To this, he just smiled.

"Uhhhh. It was nice meeting you...see you next year!"

I grabbed my brother by the arm and literally dragged him half way across the stadium.

"Andy don't let that get to your head. She was very inaccurate."

My brother laughed and kept the smug smile on his face. I was ready to puke.

Suddenly, he looks to the other end of the stadium and says, "Hey isn't that our mayor?"

"Where?" I'm looking around, trying to find our city's mayor in the midst of people scattered everywere.

"There, in the pink winter coat."

"Oh yeah, there she is. Let's go say hi."

"Ok."

We head toward our mayor. She's walking along saying hello to people like the good politician she is. We approach her and say our hellos. I introduce myself, shake hands with her and then she turns to my brother. He smiles, shakes her hand and introduces himself - they've met before, so he strikes up a quick conversation. While they're talking (which was no more than 10 seconds), I thought "Hmmm. When did he become such a charmer? Maybe she wasn't so inaccurate after all. What am I thinking? The cold must be getting to my head." I quickly shook off that horrid thought, and told our mayor we'd take her over to some of the people that have organized the event this year.

Later, we completed the 5k run - which we didn't fully run because we were so layered up from the initial cold, that when we actually started moving we got too warm and ended up overheating. I was also still a little shook up from my thoughts earlier.

After the run, there's always a place where you pick up some food to eat/drink. They usually have yogurt, bananas, oranges, water, juice, coffee. My brother and I have finished our run and we're standing by our team tent, my brother pats his stomach and says, "I"m sooo hungry. I should've had a bigger breakfast."

One of my team members looks up at him and replies, "Why don't you go over to the food tent? They have some bananas and yogurt there."

He looks at her as if she's lost her mind, "No. I want some REAL food."

Aha. Charmer no more. There's the little brother I know. She was definitely inaccurate.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ang said...

I am sure that you would rather eat glass than admit it...but we both know that it is TRUE!!!! HAHAHA Scary when the little buggers grow up isn't it!!

12:08 a.m.  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Luv's brother

and I'd like to say a few things, you gotta hear things from both perspectives...firstly I am incredibly handsome :-D, everyone loves me (the ladies that is) the only reason my sister cant see my good looks, is because she's my sister...duh...AND everything bad you may hear about me isn't the truth, I am a very nice person

12:53 p.m.  

Post a Comment

<< Home